TWF Racing - Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen ignition removal issues

I removed my 2nd gen ignition switch and rewired it using the diagram on the right. Now my tach and idiot lights don't work. Bike runs fine. Any suggestions???
    Attached Files

I'm thinking I need to splice the orange wire with the B/R wire on the ignition side. what you think?

Comment

You should splice it with O/W. If you go to B/R it will be on all the time. I think.

Comment

Yes, you need orange wire connected to get power to the instruments (orange/green via fuse 5)

As Zoran says, that needs to go to the orange/white on the kill/run switch.

Comment

Another option instead of connecting the black/red to the orange/black up at the ignition switch/run switch end, is to make that connection down at the FusePanel/Relay block -
          what you can do is to relocate the orange/black at the relay connection and connect this to utilize one of the headlight fuses which is presumably no longer required.
          This means you don't have to add an additional fuse holder and can use a built-in one in the fuse panel that would now be redundant in race use - also convenient to make the connection where wires are close together and also keeps all fuses in same location.

You can pop the terminals out of the fuse panel/relay box with a needle to unlatch the pin

Tip: to splice the yellow/blue to the red/black, remove the red/black and yellow/blue terminals from the block;
          strip a section of red/black without breaking the core; wrap the free end of the yellow/blue wire around the exposed red/black core and solder;
          slide a piece of heatshrink over the red/black terminal/wire up over the joint with the yellow/blue wire (extending an inch or so past the red/black & yellow/blue wires together) & shrink it.
          Re-install the red/back & yellow/blue wires back in their original slots.

Last edited by DEcosse; March 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM.

Comment

thanks all. Appreciate the info!

Comment

Originally posted by macop1104 View Post
              I'm thinking I need to splice the orange wire with the B/R wire on the ignition side. what you think?
              Can I splice it into the O/R wire that is getting juice thru the resistor off the O/W or should I splice in a separate wire?

Comment

No, that is line for ECU and you don't want to have resistor.

Comment

Orange needs to go directly to the Orange/White - NOT the Orange/Red

If not using the pair valve - which you're probably not - just run wire from that Orange/White to the Orange ignition wire.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
                    Orange needs to go directly to the Orange/White - NOT the Orange/Red

If not using the pair valve - which you're probably not - just run wire from that Orange/White to the Orange ignition wire.
                    ok thanks! ya, the pair valve is in the landfill...

Comment

Well I connected the orange to the orange/white and it did power up the tach but some weird shit is going on. The needle jumped a bit then hung up around the 5000rpm mark. I disconnected the orange from the orange white and the tach stayed powered up. wtf????

Comment

You got something else going on or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zoran View Post
                          You got something else going on or wrong.
                          I got this wiring harness from a racer and he hacked into it. Let me try the same mod to my virgin harness and see what happens...

I never did start the bike. just powered up the system..... the secondaries butterfies did their thing...

Comment

I just disconnected all the jumpers and plugged in the ignition switch. it did the same weird stuff. tach needle swung up to 7k slowly, hung there for 5 seconds, then slowly came down. when i turned the key off it did power down.

Comment

Isn't needle suppose to sweep when you turn key on?

Comment

Working...
                              X