• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SV650 flywheel rotor lightening

Sprocket is suppose to move.

Comment

Zoran, do you have experience with that combo? I am little worried...
      When I had stock - 1st gen flywheel, there wasn't any space between flywheel and sprocket, sprocket was moving only in a rotational direction.

Comment

All sprockets suppose to move in and out, otherwise they would be jammed in there between sprag and cases.
        Yes, I used all combos.

Comment

Now gap between sprag and sprocket is 3 mm. Normally is about 0.4 mm.
          Thanks Zoran

Comment

Should be no difference since all parts are dimensionally same.

Comment

Originally posted by Rising View Post

Is the idea behind this to remove every other magnet to lighten the rotor? I'm assuming the three remaining magnets still provide enough charging for a race bike.
              Does it matter which three magnets get removed?
              Finally put a multimeter on mine. 3 magnets, no charging till 2500rpm. 13.5v @ 7k

Comment

Are the stator poles centered below the rotor magnets?Or they are positioned a bit towards to the bottom of rotor(centre of engine)?
                Last edited by TOLAROS; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TOLAROS View Post
                  Are the stator poles centered below the rotor magnets?Or they are positioned a bit towards to the bottom of rotor(centre of engine)?
                  I think I know why you're asking. I have taken a 2g flywheel, removed all the magnets, and machined it down to the triggers. Then I used a ceramic cutter and cut the magnets so they are even with the edge of the flywheel, then glued them back on. It didn't charge.....

Comment

Originally posted by macop1104 View Post

I think I know why you're asking. I have taken a 2g flywheel, removed all the magnets, and machined it down to the triggers. Then I used a ceramic cutter and cut the magnets so they are even with the edge of the flywheel, then glued them back on. It didn't charge.....
                    You are close!

Here is how you can remove weight
                    a)replace the six M8x16 bolts that screw in the starter clutch with low head allen screws(quality at least 10.9).Their head is 3mm shorter(and lighter),so you can remove 3mm from the perimetre of the flywheel(removing weight)
                    b)put some washers under the stator so you position him closer to the center by 3mm.That way nothing changes concerning the stock stator positon relatively to the bolts,nothing will touch.
                    c)remove the magnets.There is a step towards the bottom of the rotor where they rest.You can either mill and relocate step lower by 3mm.That way nothing changes concerning the stock stator positon relatively to the magnets.Put back magnets and bingo,you retain OEM charging ability.

Then you can start opening holes,trimming the perimetre(leaving a strip so not to harm the triggering points), whatever you can.

You can also use lighter and stronger rare earth magnets!
                    Smaller,stronger and lighter.Just make sure they are at least 150Celcius rated.

The whole point is that we don't need a bdk gen,with measurements and rare earth we can come pretty close to bdk weight(not the same of course).

Now about your magnets not charging:how did you remove them? If you used torch you just killed them.

When you say it didn't charge, you mean zero or just lower charging ability?

I would also bet the OEM magnets are actually 3 poles per piece ( N-S-N or S-N-S).
                    Stator has 18 poles and you have 6 magnets, so in theory each piece should have 3 poles alternate (3x6=18).

If I only had some measurements or a spare motor with left side unbolted to measure some distances, I could come up with something.

PS:At later gixxers Suzuki uses magnetic strip,not individual magnets,see link.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Suzuki-GSXR60...hYs7WL&vxp=mtr
                    Specs of the above are
                    a)ID of the rotor=108.8mm
                    b)OD of the rotor=119.6mm
                    c)height of the rotor from edge to the bottom=34.8mm
                    d)height of the rotor from edge to the floor=39.5mm
                    e)weight(excluding bolt)=1lb 12oz = 793.78gr
                    Last edited by TOLAROS; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

My BDK genny with a lightened sprag is 770 grams. It' will be pretty hard to get close to that safely and if you do, I doubt it would support the power requirements of a street bike. The only way to find out is to give it a try. Good luck

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by macop1104 View Post
                          My BDK genny with a lightened sprag is 770 grams. It' will be pretty hard to get close to that safely and if you do, I doubt it would support the power requirements of a street bike. The only way to find out is to give it a try. Good luck
                          Mike,
                          later model bikes have very light rotor and are able to power street bike because they have diferent design and magnets.
                          See from bdk site the stock R1 and BDK R1
                          http://bdkraceeng.co.uk/tc/products.php?298

Stock R1 is 680gr and BDK is 362gr.So stock is already pretty light and puts out more that 380Watts/300Watts 2nd genSv/1stgen SV put out respectively.
                          This is due to using light countinuous magnetic stripe instead of big chunks of magnet SV have.

So if I use/adapt magnetic stripe from an injected gsxr/zxr/r6 whatever, i will surely be able to power a street bike.

If I manage to aim just below 1kilo, i will be more than happy.

Will keep you posted.

For your info,the further a magnet is from the center of rotation, the bigger his tip/linear speed is and the more electric power he makes.
                          That's why 2nd gen SV has slighter larger stator:its magnets are also further from centre and they produce some extra 70 Watts.
                          That's why it's impossible for BDK to power a street bike with a smaller diametre rotor.
                          unless they switch to super strong magnets and make rotor longer.
                          But longer rotor adds weight,which in a way cancells the BDK goal.

Comment

Working...
                          X