• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha its like $4 more iridiums over 2 plugs :P

Comment

I don't even know what they cost
      Normal one is around $4.

Comment

Ah haha, I found the normal for $5 each and iridiums for $7 each.

Comment

Maybe I start buying them now
          I thought they were expensive when they showed up so i never look in to them. I also buy plugs by boxes so it adds up.

Comment

Btw. if you riding on street you may want to run CR8E or equal in iridium. We run one size colder because we race and bikes run at higher rpm's all the time.

Comment

Reasonable result from mods and tune?

I'm picking up my 2007 SV from the mechanic tomorrow.

For engine mods, I have the 35/70 Factory Pro velocity stacks, Zoran's bored out throttle bodies, K&N air filter, full Yoshimura exhaust, PCIII and Ignition Module, Iridium spark plugs and SV1000 snorkel.

The tuner told me he got 70hp at the wheel. The stock HP figure is 72hp or so, but I assume that is at the crank.

Does this seem like the HP I should have expected from my mods?

Comment

That sounds low. What dyno is it? Does he have other sv's on record to compare.

Comment

I believe it was a Dynojet 250i. I have an email in to the mechanic about the Dynojet Dyno model number. He got 70.09 hp and 45.43 ft/lbs of torque. I thought the 70hp figure was on the low side also, but if 72hp at the crank is only 62-65hp at the rear wheel, then I haven't done too badly.

When I asked the mechanic about the 70hp figure, he said the stock 72 hp was at the crank, and that one loses 10-15% between the crank and rear wheel. He further explained that the ignition module and bored out throttle bodies could only do so much with an otherwise stock motor (stock bore, compression, cams, pistons, etc.).

The other Sv's he has worked on are mostly Gen 1's. He had one 2003 bike that ran VP race fuel that got around 80 hp, but it had mod's that my bike doesn't. He said some bikes get 4-6 hp just from highly oxygenated fuels (at $20/gallon).

Here's the dyno sheet:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Stock bikes out of show room will dyno at around 68-70. It also depends on dyno, some read lower than others. You should have done it before changes just for comparison.
                    Bad part about 2nd gen is that pipe and PC don't really do much like on 1st gen. And than you have special edition with dual plugs (I hate those, we had one and it did make less power than our 05 with same mods). Yosh pipe is not really good one for power. Leo and M4 would probably add 1-2 on your numbers. Also with bored out tb's we have consistently get 3-4hp. You should have mid 70's.
                    Sv will also get couple hp from good fuel.

Comment

From what i know of 2nd gen's factory pro stacks doesn't always give the results expected.
                      Friend(the 1st to do the upside down conversion in greece for 2nd gen) tried them but was dissatisfied and has them for sale,along with power commander,see for yourself
                      http://www.moto.gr/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65144
                      Also what Zoran says about pipe in 2nd gen is correct:he had mounted a twin(just like sv 1000) GPR exhaust but didn't like the result and sells it, see here: http://www.moto.gr/forums/showthread.php?threadid=89622.But to be honest he slain and weld back the pipe necks about 10 times!! :lol:

I used to think that kits are the best way when changing exhaust.I had factory pro needles and remus slipon.Stong high but hesitant low-mids.But now I belivie 100% that custom is the best way to optimise performance: see here
                      http://www.twfracing.com/vbforums/sh...=2582#post2582.
                      Either you experiment yourself or pay someone else do it.Problem is finding a good one to do it...
                      Last edited by TOLAROS; January 24th, 2010, 05:21 AM.

Comment

"special edition" -- I like that. Really special to make less power!

I confirmed that the Dyno was a 250i, and the tuner used Amoco premium (93) pump gas. I hope his Dyno just gives low numbers. Unfortunately, I couldn't do a before/after because I had my throttle bodies bored out long before I was referred to this tuner.

A follow-up question (or two): According to the Dyno printout, the air/fuel mix is right around 14:1. On svrider.com, someone suggested a ratio between 13:1 and 13.5:1 as optimal for the SV. Would a lower air/fuel ratio increase power? Is my bike tuned too lean right now? I ride almost exclusively at or near sea level, not up at altitude like you Nevada guys.

Comment

Yes, they like to run around 13.5. 14 is little lean but I think his line is under 14.

Comment

Iridium spark plugs?!
                            Is it any better?

Comment

Originally posted by zoran View Post
                              Yes, they like to run around 13.5.
                              Is this race fuel or pump gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Svracer View Post

Is this race fuel or pump gas?
                                I think it's fuel.

Comment