Float bowl height

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float bowl height

I have a question about setting the height of the float in a gen 1 carb.
    Im running a setup with K&N filters which uses really large main (200+) jets (here- http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthr...t=27906&page=5)
    I would think you would adjust the float to have more fuel in the carb to help keep more fuel in the carb, right?
    The setup recommends setting the float bowl height to 8.5mm where as the stock setting is 6.5-7.5mm. Because of how you are measuring the float, the larger the number the lower the fuel level correct? So with a 8.5 float bowl height it would have less fuel in the carb than a 6.5 height, correct? This means that the 8.5 height would also be leaner in general than 6.5, right?

Yes

Comment

So with this setup using more fuel, instead of a 8.5 float bowl setting, maybe closer to 6.5-5.5? Richen it up a bit?

Comment

I would do 7 and see. I had to go 8 but that was on high elevation.

Comment

Ok, so basically stock height then?
          Im wondering if something in the bowl height was causing me to run really lean and need really large main jets.

How will I know if it needs to be adjusted further (from the stock height of 7 ill set it at)? Cutting out when full throttle?

Comment

With pods you will be in 210-215 range on main.

Comment

Right. It has been consistently lean though even with much larger jetting. Im wondering if maybe the floats were set too high/lean/incorrectly and it was making it seem as if the rest of the jetting was lean.I was trying to tune the mixture knob and had to turn it all the way out. I was originally thinking of going to a 20 pilot jet instead of the 17.5, but maybe its all just symptoms of too little fuel in the bowl.

Comment

Try changing it.

Comment

For what its worth,I have tried the method of fuel level height(the one with a graduated transparent tool).
                  It's better than the float bowl height because you actually measure the fuele level in the bowl,while the float level height calculates it indirectly.
                  The need to keep carbs at 22,... degrees from horizontal is easily solved by some trigonometry and transparent plastic.

Comment

Working...
                  X