Rebuild Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild Advice

Finally pulled my rear cylinder apart, and the piston is indeed shot.

I have another cylinder that needs to be honed, but it's measuring a .076mm cylinder clearance on this used piston. I'm assuming at this point my best bet is a first over piston and have a cylinder bored to match.

Any thoughts on the cause? Noticeable erosion above the first ring, and minor scuffing on the skirts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Comment

The wiki link is a nice touch

So why the sudden knocking? It has been in the following configuration for 2seasons without issue

Dual plug heads
      2003 ECU & TBs (no STV)
      1st gen cam swap
      full exhaust
      open top airbox

running on 87octane from the same station

I will say, it was running a hotter than usual (220F vs 200F) but never above 230 and I was trying to determine if it had a small coolant leak somewhere. That extra 20* push it over the edge to where I should have been running 93?

I was expecting to see a blown head gasket, not a damaged piston

Comment

Could be heat or combo heat and fuel.

Comment

Do colder spark plugs help or not?

Comment

They can. I use CR9E but seen same damage with is as well.

Comment

You ever used the coldest CR10E? Manual has them as option.

Comment

No.

Comment

Finally got everything finished up and went for a test ride. MUCH stronger feeling without a 40% leakdown on the rear cylinder! I went with single plug heads and removed the middle layer of the head gaskets. Went with CR9EIX plugs and will switch to 93octane as well as a little more detonation safety.

Found my coolant leak also. A pinhole leak in the radiator (due to a lowside in someone else's oil slick! ), only started seeping after it was hot and pressurized and just slow enough to mostly evaporate at 100+ degree days. But just enough that I had to keep topping off the radiator.

I was pulling the rings off the bad piston (pictured above), and the ring lands came out in chunks! Guess it was in even worse shape than I thought!

Comment

Working...
                  X