Throttle body dismantling help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle body dismantling help

I have been modifyingmy throttle bodies. Ken sent me the STV simulator circuit. I have taken out the STV system, including shafts, sensor and motor/actuator. Part of the motor body I have kept with the fast idle cam and an adaptation on it for a manual choke. When I took out the STV shafts I just basically destroid the E-clips that hold them in place on the sensor and motor side and took them out. I want to take out the main valves and shafts so I can grind out the excess metal on the throttle bodies and paint them etc.For the main shafts i would like to avoid destroing those retaining clips and i have not been able to figure out a way to get them out any other way...some advice maybe with pics or a video link would much be apreciated.

Thank you

There is no reason to take E clips out on any of the shafts. Remove linkage from opposite side.

Comment

Thank you very much Zoran. Sorry for the late reply, we have been celebrating the Orthodox Easter in my country. So I just take the little nuts off and all of what is in the way and take them out. Is there anything special that I should keep in mind when getting the linkage out from the other side, regarding the detent springs or anything else? Is there a specific torque for those little nuts when Iassemble everything back? Thank you again.

Comment

Yes, just nuts. Take picture of linkage orientation to remind you how it goes back together. No torque, there are spring washers under it so just compress those and hand tight.

Comment

You use throttle bodies from SV or Gladius?

Comment

The original SV throttle bodies.

Comment

Zoran, thanks! Took them out like you said... the screws that hold the plates together are made of cheese )))). I will use some new stainless ones instead. The nut holding the linkage on the shaft was put on pretty tight. I left the shaft stoppedin the little stopper while taking the nut off. Hope that I didn't risk damaging anything by doing that. I have another set of stock TB's to compare when reassembling. Do you recommend cutting off the part of the shaft that sandwiches the plate without the threads for the screws? Does that weaken the shaft too much?

Comment

I wouldn't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by sv650s4ever View Post
                  the screws that hold the plates together are made of cheese )))). I will use some new stainless ones instead.
                  If you mean the 2 screws that hold the throttle plate to the throttle shaft,use only OEM ones:

See below why:
                  http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=201251

You can of course get stainles,even stainless countersunk,so to minimise protrusion but be prepared to use loctite.

Also it requiresa bit trick to make sure the throttle plate is in correct position before tightening them.

Comment

Originally posted by TOLAROS View Post
                    If you mean the 2 screws that hold the throttle plate to the throttle shaft,use only OEM ones:

See below why:
                    http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=201251

You can of course get stainles,even stainless countersunk,so to minimise protrusion but be prepared to use loctite.

Also it requiresa bit trick to make sure the throttle plate is in correct position before tightening them.

Thank you TOLAROS

I doubt I will be able to find OEM ones. I will use red Loctite. The correct positioning of the plate is very important, I know. Schmidt314 on the SV1000 forum talked about that and how it affects the air differences in cylinderetc at certain RPMs, something very visible when doing the TB sync . The left to right positioning is the one that is problematic, but from what I understand if I cut the nonthreaded part of the shaft and countersink the screws in the plate they will self locate. I don't think I can reclench the back of the new screw on the shaft. Hope Loctite is enough.

Comment

https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/5-t...alignment.html

Comment

I don't think I can reclench the back of the new screw on the shaft. Hope Loctite is enough.
                        You can reclench it if you use my greek patent: use the same tool you use when you change the chain(you know, the riveting tool that mushrooms the head of the pin)!

Think!

Comment

You can reclench it if you use my greek patent: use the same tool you use when you change the chain(you know, the riveting tool that mushrooms the head of the pin)!

Think!

Good idea . Do you think cutting the nonthreaded part of the shaft is a possible bad idea in any way?

Comment

Good idea . Do you think cutting the nonthreadedpart of the shaft is a possible bad idea in any way?
                            I wouldn't do it because the plate is sandwitched between threaded and non threaded part.
                            Non threaded part provides good backing and stability.
                            If it is missing, the head of the screws may dent the throttle plate and will not be stiff enough.

https://www.parkeryamaha.com/mikunis...latescrew.aspx
                            Last edited by TOLAROS; 1 week ago.

Comment

I wouldn't do it because the plate is sandwitched between threaded and non threaded part.
                              Non threaded part provides good backing and stability.
                              If it is missing, the head of the screws may dent the throttle plate and will not be stiff enough.

https://www.parkeryamaha.com/mikunis...latescrew.aspx

Good idea. I won't cut the shaft, but I think countersinking the screws in the non threaded part of the shaft is a decent idea. There is a specialized screws and fittings store in my townw and I am sureI will find the right ones. But the link you sent makes me think of something else, the rubber seals and e-clips. The e-clips I will probably find in the same shop, but those seals seam very specialized and I don't think they are easily available, at least not here in Romania. I would change them just for piece of mind and use some rubber lube on them when I instal them.

Comment

Working...
                              X