TWF Racing - Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Porting/polishing

Hey guys i'm looking at doing a light port and polish on my spare k3 heads as well as a general refresh of the valvetrain. Ill be attempting to clean up the casting flaws in the ports, smooth out any flow transitions and flow match the exhaust port correctly as its pretty shoddy from factory. Id like to try and not drastically change the cross sectional area of the ports as I don't have access to any testing equipment to check if what i have done is actually an improvement. I also will doing the classic cam swap aswell as a thinner head gasket and lightened flywheel.

any advice from someone whos been down this road before as a home project? I understand cam profiles are directly related to port design so should the cam swap be taken into account here or is it too mild of an improvement to matter much? any success stories out there? and roughly how much power could i expect to see from this?

Any advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Best to be done with a flow bench .I've seen people spend hours porting heads with no gains. Yes with experience gains can be had without flowtesting. Typical gain on an sv head with stock valves would be 8-10cfm.thats 2-3 lhp per cylinder. My 03 makes 85hp with stock bore, 10.8:1 compression, cam swap and bored throttle bodies with ported heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Svracer View Post
      Best to be done with a flow bench .I've seen people spend hours porting heads with no gains. Yes with experience gains can be had without flowtesting. Typical gain on an sv head with stock valves would be 8-10cfm.thats 2-3 lhp per cylinder. My 03 makes 85hp with stock bore, 10.8:1 compression, cam swap and bored throttle bodies with ported heads.
      At what pressure drop you measure and find that 8-10cfm?

My heads with stock valves went from 100cfm to 112 cfm measured at 10inch pressure drop.

If I used 28 inch then it would be 112*square_root(28/10)=112*1.67=187cfm.
      Measured at cam lift 8,6mm.

Will use 12/1static cr and around 10/1dynamic CR.

Of course after that covidmyass thing goes away!

Comment

My heads were measured at 28" on a suoerflow 1020 bench.

Comment

We are around the same numbers.

What cams will you use?

I will use 1st gen Busa bodies and Gladius cams reground to 9.6mm IN and around 9mm EX.

Using Zoran's inner springs and different buckets

In the picture you see Moldstar guides
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X