Tune-up plan - suggestions/input requested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune-up plan - suggestions/input requested

So my street SV is going to get some love this winter.
    2001 SVS w/ 21K miles 01 GSXR 750 front end/Penske rear and she has the old 2WJ Full fairings...

Here is the plan of attack so far:

1) Suspension Service GSXR forks/Penske shock to Zoran later in January
    2) New brake fluid
    3) New coolant
    4) New Plugs
    5) New air filter
    6) Cam Swap
    7) Valve Adjustment
    8) Lube steering head & swingarm
    9) Clean/adjust clutch actuator
    10) Fresh paint (courtesy of a buddy who owes me a paint job as part of a bike deal)
    11) Service Carbs?
    12) Service petcock?

Am I missing anything here? Obviously the bike is going to be stripped down quite a bit so if there is anything else that needs attention this is the time to do it.

I've never done anything with the carbs other than re-jet them when I put a pipe on the bike. Sometimes it doesn't seem like the choke works quite right, as in even if it is cold, the bike won't start with the choke one, but it will (with enough tries) without. Any suggestions here?

1) A couple random questions, what plugs are recommended?
    2) What air filter is suggested? I have an OEM filter in it that is very dirty. It has been jetted (I don't rember what jets) & a full Hindle TI system
    3) Zoran, do you service carbs? I plan on keeping this bike forever and at 15 years old, I am wondering how long it will be before i start to have issues.

Thanks for any advice,

Amac

Use OEM filter.No point in using BMC,no difference,you just use more fuel.Besides you have to keep it oiled from time to time.
    I have used both and I ended up using stock filter desnorkelled. With full exhaust and sea level mI use 147.5 mains.

Comment

We run CR9E on our race bikes. I do not like any other plugs. Stock are CR8E and those are good for stock street bike. No iridiums, multi tips or any fancy plugs, just standard ones.
      Just get new stock filter. Anything else you will have to rejet again.
      I do service carbs but there really is nothing to it, just take it apart, clean it and put back together. Only thing that really clogs from sitting is pilot jet. Make sure it is clean or just buy couple new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by zoran View Post
        We run CR9E on our race bikes. I do not like any other plugs. Stock are CR8E and those are good for stock street bike. No iridiums, multi tips or any fancy plugs, just standard ones.
        Do you run the 9E's only on bikes with higher compression or just all of the race bikes with stock(ish) internals and stock compression?
        Stock gap of ,7-.8mm/.28-.31in?

Comment

All of them. Standard gap.

Comment

Thats one step colder, correct? Would you recommend that for a K&N filter(newer version), Micron full exhaust, shorty muffler(eBay special so its probably basically a resonator) and rejetted carbs woth nothing done internally?

Also to the OP, you might as well pull your clutch pack, check the setal plates for bluing and use digital micrometer to measure the meat of the friction plates. If its gonna be torn into a bit anyways you might as well just to make sure you know its not the clutch if you have issues with slipping or adjustment. Id also clean and regrease the clutch actuator ,echanis,(spiral rod with LOOSE ball bearings so be careful!). Youll probably be fine without it but I just wanted to contribute haha.

Comment

Yes, one step colder. We run it in all our bikes built or not.

Comment

Working...
              X