GSXR Rear Rim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR Rear Rim

I have recently procured a 2007 5.5" GSXR rim. From measuring I can tell that I need to do the following remove about 3MM from the caliper hanger on the wheel side.

Machine the Cush spacer about2MM on the cush side where it meets the wheel.

From the rear of the bike the sprocket needs to be 2-3MM closer to centerline. Another rider milled his Cush after removing the studs. Thats not easy for the no brain SVR person.

WOuld it be possible to space the counter shaft sprocket off the case with a thrust washer or shim or would problems arise?

Thanks,

Zoran

Re: GSXR Rear Rim

you can shim counter sprocket but not by much, you need lock nut to be fully on shaft treads.
    funny, I looked at that wheel and came up with sprocket carrier to be moved in 7mm, just like 01-05 wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by zoran
      you can shim counter sprocket but not by much, you need lock nut to be fully on shaft treads.
      funny, I looked at that wheel and came up with sprocket carrier to be moved in 7mm, just like 01-05 wheel.
      I'm going off of another guys measurements right now. I haven't had time to measure this up yet for myself.

He claims the following machining then wants 200 for his spacer kit.

Sprocket Carrier... 3mm off (You need a torch to heat up the carrier and remove the studs)
      Hub Spacer... 19.5mm
      Caliper Hanger... 26mm

It didn't seem right as I have a CAD design of the stock rear wheel and it isn't looking all that easy.

Comment

sounds like he is machining outside of sprocket carrier to move sprocket 3mm in.
        you don't need to remove studs to machine inside side.
        also sounds like 2nd gen.
        anyway, I got different numbers than that.
        I may look at it again but I did not see it been centered with front wheel without machining wheel itself.

Comment

Its def. 2nd gen sorry for not stating that.

If you don't mind checking the spacing once more I would really appreciate that.

These are the other posts when he was telling me from memory.

the GSXR sprocket carrier -3mm... Inner spacer - 2mm... and SV650 brake caliper - 2mm...

A better wording.
          3mm off on the sprocket carrier hub on the sprocket face...

2mm off on the inner hub to wheel spacer on the middle or left wheel bearing side...

2mm off on the Swing Arm side of the rear caliper hanger

Comment

I know wheel needs 7mm. sprocket has to go 7mm towards center of wheel to be same as stock. this is on both gen sv. if you can get 5mm by machining carrier and moving it in than you can gain 2mm at counter sprocket if you buy shouldered sprocket and flip it around. your chain will eat slider on swingarm little bit.

Comment

Hello everyone... The word get arround fast huh...

Here is my set up...

Zoran, I will be happy to share my findings and see if everything looks in order

I compared numbers with a stock SV650 and the wheel appers to be center within 1mm.

Also I compared the set up with an 05 Bandit GSF1200S and the 06-07 GSXR 600 / 750 is 6 lbs lighter than the Bandit GSF1200S. Weighted; wheels, tires, rotor, hub, clush drive and spacers. I believe this wheel is lighter than the Honda F3 and even the stock SV650.

Luis - SV650R@yahoo.com - Cell 602 980 5707

Comment

Luis,
                I have gsxr wheel and I did measure for fitting. I have also done 01-05 wheel.
                like I said, I found that sprocket has to go in 7mm to have wheel aligned with front one.
                maybe I am measuring wrong, either way I am not interested in making kits for it.
                I can make spacers for anybody by their dimensions but that is as far I will go with this wheel.

Comment

Luis, what is the distance from the inside edge of your swing arm to the outside edge of your sprocket?

Should be about 21mm. if it's not, your sprockets are not aligned.

Comment

Originally posted by swiest152
                    Should be about 21mm. if it's not, your sprockets are not aligned.
                    not necessary. even if that distance is correct it does not mean sprockets are aligned.
                    correct way is to measure sprocket distance from right side of swingarm.

Comment

hes right thats the issue I am having right now. I really don't want to machine the wheel, it thats the case I am going to stick with the F3 wheel. I just hate not matching the wheels.

Time will tell.

Comment

you can buy his bandit wheel, that one looks like stock.

Comment

Originally posted by zoran
                          not necessary. even if that distance is correct it does not mean sprockets are aligned.
                          correct way is to measure sprocket distance from right side of swingarm.
                          What is the correct distance from the right side of the swing arm?

Comment

206 for 1st gen and 210 for 2nd.

Comment

Here is my take on it.... I am measuring from the inside of the sprocket to the swing arm...

Because, if you have a 520 or a 525 set up that number is true...

I took a couple measurements... Not the one above but, I wanted to double check that my GSXR wheel is centered...

I measured the width of the stock SV650 rear wheel at the outer lip. 133mm

I measured the width of the stock 06-07 GSXR 600/750 rear wheel at the outer lip. 163mm

The difference is 30mm or 15mm to each side.

I measured swing arm to wheel lip on the SV650. 92mm left side and 73mm right side.

I measured swing arm to wheel lip on the SV650. 77mm left side and 58mm right side.

The diference 77mm + 15mm = 92mm and 58mm + 15mm = 73mm.

92mm and 73mm are the SV650 measurements.

I knew I took my time to do the math and center the wheel

Now, measuring the rear sprocket. I am within 1mm closer to the swing arm...

I will take more measurements... I want to be 1000% sure I have it right.

I have several track days and over 2k miles on my GSXR set up and the bike feels great. and wheelies straight... :P

Luis

Comment

Working...
                              X