TWF Racing - Forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GSXR Rear Rim

I have no clue what you measuring there to get 92 and 73??
    what you have from right side of swingarm (where caliper bracket touches swingarm) to inside of sprocket?
    and from same spot on swingarm to center of wheel?

Comment

ok, I see what you doing, measuring from outside of swingarm.
      yea, that sounds like wheel is centered.
      what is from swingarm (outside as you doing) to inside of sprocket?

Comment

I went through my notes.you getting close Luis
        there is 7mm difference between sv and gsxr wheel, from center of wheel to sprocket.
        if you machine 3 on surface of carrier and can squeeze 2 on inside you are 2 away from been aligned.
        like I said above, with 520 counter sprocket that has shoulder (like washer) you can flip it and get 2mm.
        some companies make 525 (5/16) rear sprocket that is dished and 1/4 everywhere else. you can also flip this one to get 1mm if you want to stay with 525 chain.
        when I did 01-05 I did not want to go this route, I wanted all aligned within 1mm, reason I machined wheel, not carrier.

Comment

Comment

This is the Cad cam layout of the stock SV wheel I am using to go off of. Sorry its in SAE and not metric but the US tool and die guys use SAE

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmanrm
              This is the Cad cam layout of the stock SV wheel I am using to go off of. Sorry its in SAE and not metric but the US tool and die guys use SAE
              SAE? is that like inches, feet and yards? LOL ...I guess I can convert to metric.

Swing arm (on sprocket side) to center of wheel 5.217 = 132.5mm
              Swing arm (on rotor side) to center of wheel 4.194 = 106.5mm

239mm total

Here are my measurements...

SV650

Swing arm (on sprocket side) to center of wheel 128.5
              Swing arm (on rotor side) to center of wheel 109.5

Total 238mm

GSXR

Total 238mm

HAAA!!!!!! Do the math from my post above!!!

Swing arm is 30mm wide. so substract 30mm on the numbers quoted below:

I measured swing arm to wheel lip on the SV650. 92mm left side and 73mm right side.

I measured swing arm to wheel lip on the SV650. 77mm left side and 58mm right side.
              The 1.271 =32.3mm However if it is to the face of the sprocket this number varies from sprocket to sprocket. That is why I remove the sprocket and measure the sprocket carrier machined surface.

Like I said before the rear sprocket is not 100% perfect it is closer to the swing arm less than 1mm

This makes me feel good.. I got basic math down!!! Luis.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzmanrm
                that is correct, right side is 106mm.
                swingarm on left to sprocket does not matter, it can be more or less and has nothing to do with sprockets alignment. you can simply make spacer longer or shorter on that side to make it more or less. same reason overall distance does not matter. there is space between swingarm and wheel that is gone once axle is torqued down. less space = more distance between swing and sprocket.
                same with rotor, it can be anywhere. you just move caliper to align.
                thing that DOES matter is from right side of swingarm to center of wheel and right side of swingarm to sprocket.
                if this 2 are same as stock than gsxr wheel is aligned.
                Luis, swingarm is 33mm not 30. like I said, I figured you measured from outside. your wheel is centered but sprocket is not (your lip measurements). now you saying swingarm to center is 109.5. that puts wheel and sprocket out of alignment.

assuming your wheel is aligned:
                center of wheel to sprocket on sv = 104
                center of wheel to sprocket on gsxr =111
                that is 7mm. do the math.

Comment

Here are my measurements...

SV650

Total 238mm

GSXR

Total 238mm

HAAA!!!!!! Do the math from my post above!!!

Swing arm is 30mm wide. so substract 30mm on the numbers quoted below:
                  If the swing arm is 33mm instead of 30mm ...Then:

GSXR

Swing arm (on sprocket side) to center of wheel 125.5
                  Swing arm (on rotor side) to center of wheel 106.5

This seems kind of short... 232mm

Darn it... I will measure it all over again when I get home...

Luis

Comment

Originally posted by zoran
                    Originally posted by swiest152
                    Should be about 21mm. if it's not, your sprockets are not aligned.
                    not necessary. even if that distance is correct it does not mean sprockets are aligned.
                    correct way is to measure sprocket distance from right side of swingarm.
                    Can you explain why you measure from the right side? I understand that the swingarm distance will change when the axle bolt gets tightened down, but why can't you take all the measurements from the left side instead?

Comment

because factory uses right side for reference. for same reason right side wheel bearing is installed first.
                      engine and counter sprocket are also referenced from right side.

Comment

You guys going to make me have to drive to Computrack in California...

I wonder if they can help me... Luis

Comment

Alright, what's the verdict? Machine the caliper hanger, sprocket carrier, wheel and new spacers, right?
                          How much machining for each?

Comment

Originally posted by eddychecker
                            Alright, what's the verdict? Machine the caliper hanger, sprocket carrier, wheel and new spacers, right?
                            How much machining for each?
                            Doesn't really seem like we have a consensus yet.

Comment

Hmmmmm...I'm getting ready to fit my GSXR (2007 rear wheel) to the 2002 SV. I guess I might as well make this stuff captive spacers while I'm at it. I haven't looked at anything yet though. I must say I do appreciate all the diligent measurements and information sharing.

So...the difference between the center of the rim to the center of the sprocket on the GSXR rim is longer than the same measurement on the 2002 SV.

Now what about the brake caliper mount? I thought I had to machine that as well.

OK I'm going back and reread all this stuff.

Thanks... !!

Comment

My sprocket carrier bolts are rubbing on the swingarm on the left side of the bike and I 'm still 3/16" from having the wheel centered. This is going to be interesting. Generation one SV.

Comment

Working...
                                X