Aftermarket vs OEM GSXR steering damper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket vs OEM GSXR steering damper

I went through the motions of trying to use a Scotts rotary steering damper on my 99 SV w/ 06 GSXR front end conversion. Unfortunately, the beefiness of the GSXR triple put it close to the tank than the SV triple does. So, you cannot install the front GSXR Scotts bracket with the SV tank bracket. They hit each other and do not allow one or the other to be installed.

So, I will be getting rid of this setup sooner or later and replacing it with a linear damper, mounted to the stock left GSXR fork tube and a bracket purchased from user Nuclear over on SVRider.com. (link to the bracket: http://svstuff.com/products/96-sv650...e-bracket.aspx)

Now my question, is an OEM damper, with a thicker oil (15w) a good alternative to a high-end damper, such as an Ohlins? What about HK types, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Universa...4c1957&vxp=mtr
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11 | ECK Racing

Re: Aftermarket vs OEM GSXR steering damper

Depends on you. I used gsxr stock one without changing oil and had no problem. Finding one free of air my be hard

Comment

Post a pic of your problem. I have a 1st gen with '07 750 front end & currently use a Scotts damper. It is close but will work...I am not using tank risers though.

Comment

I have since removed all of the rotary damper brackets, so I do not have a photo.

Mine overlap by at least a couple of millimeters. I do use 3/8" tank spacers (to get as much air as possible into the 41mm flatslides), so this is most likely the issue.

I have removed the rotary damper out of the equation, as the bracket that mounts to the top triple would have to be milled down on order to be used.

Comment

I think I used 5wt oil in mine. Do you really need that much damping?

Comment

Originally posted by The Snowman View Post
            I have since removed all of the rotary damper brackets, so I do not have a photo.

Mine overlap by at least a couple of millimeters. I do use 3/8" tank spacers (to get as much air as possible into the 41mm flatslides), so this is most likely the issue.

I have removed the rotary damper out of the equation, as the bracket that mounts to the top triple would have to be milled down on order to be used.
            We cut the linkage pin down to make it fit (yes, we use tank risers). However, I dont like fussing with the rotary mounts, and am going to switch over the second bike to linear like the A bike. Less hassle, more protected. Not sure the linked bracket is designed for GSXR forks, as it seems to read it is for stock tubes/triples.

Comment

Originally posted by dsapsis View Post
              Not sure the linked bracket is designed for GSXR forks, as it seems to read it is for stock tubes/triples.
              from the ad: This steering damper brackets allow you to mount a GSXR (or other brand) linear style steering damper on the front of your Gen 1 SV. A fork adapter is required unless you have a GSXR front end conversion with a threaded hole in the triple.

Comment

Originally posted by The Snowman View Post
                from the ad: This steering damper brackets allow you to mount a GSXR (or other brand) linear style steering damper on the front of your Gen 1 SV. A fork adapter is required unless you have a GSXR front end conversion with a threaded hole in the triple.
                Yeah, I saw that upon rechecking. Somehow I missed the "unless" in the first go round. Thanks.

Comment

In case anyone is interested, here is the SVStuff GSXR steering damper bracket installed to the location where the fairing stay attaches to the frame:

Comment

Nuculear makes some nice stuff. I have this mount with a Ohlins from a ZX-10 on our production bike. Added 10wt oil to it & it is more than enough dampening.

Comment

I have a 2005 SV650S.

The 2008 GSXR 600 front end I'm putting on it came with a steering damper. Will this damper bolts right up, or will I need some type of bracket or mod?

Thanks

Comment

You need bracket for frame or drill and tap hole in frame.

Comment

Working...
                        X