Suspension set up question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension set up question

Took the bike out to the track this weekend.

I installed a set of 06 GSXR-1000 forks I got from Zoran. Valved and sprung for my weight at 185 lbs w/out gear. They have .95 springs. and a Penske w/ 500 lb spring on the rear. Brian at SPL set the SAG at the track in the AM. The bike rode well. First few laps were definitely bouncy. Dialed in some rebound. Felt better but all day I kept bottoming out the front end. I didn't have time to keep adjusting so I raced it with a good enough set up. I had to go a bit easy on the brakes in bumpy corners to keep from bottoming out.

Couple of ideas: 1) Need to recheck the SAG b/c we set it without warming up the suspension so the fluid was cold and the SAG might be a bit high. 2) I need to dial in more compression dampening. It definitely needs more and I'll start doing that next time I have the bike out.

Questions: I started withe the clickers in the middle of the range. Are there recommended settings for 185 lbs riding at about mid-pack A group pace?

Re: Suspension set up question

Wherever it works. Good luck dialing it for motocross track

Comment

Dialing it in..... hop to get it close. :-) Bottoming out... "clunk"-lose front is not a great feeling.

Comment

Whole bike clunks there. I would not even ride there, never mind dialing it in

Comment

As true as that might be... it is the place I can ride most often this year. Don't need to dial it in but need it to stop hitting the bottom and scaring the bejeezus outta me. A few clicks here and there.

Comment

Zoran or anyone else,

What are the recommended SAG settings for an SV in race set up?
            Bike has 06 GSXR-1000 forks set up by Zoran = 32mm SAG on the front. Didn't change it at the track.
            Rear is a Penske with 500 lb spring. SAG is at 35mm currently.

What is recommended for front and rear on the SV>?

Comment

Swap those around and it will be good start.

Comment

Ok. Thanks.

Comment

After some searching around this section and got these starting numbers for a Gen2

For 185 -200 lb rider:
                  Spring rates: GSXR forks .90s or .95s up front. Penske shock 500 or 525 lb spring rear
                  SAG: 35-38 mm rider sag front. 25-30mm rider sag rear.
                  Shock length 340-345mm fully extended. Stock is 330mm
                  Fork length 514-515mm measured from top of lower triple to center axle with forks fully extended.

Comment

Possibly add just a touch more fork oil? 10-20ccs per fork. I had the same issue last season with my stock SV forks, fitted with ZX-6R cartridges and adding some fork oil did the trick.
                    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11 | ECK Racing

Comment

Not a bad idea. I just got the forks so my plan is to double check all my settings, increase the comp & rebound, and test it. If needed ill increase the fork oil wt. or amount.

Zoran,
                      What brand/weight oil did you use? How much air gap?

Thanks

Comment

Maxima 125/150. 120mm

Comment

Thanks Z!

Comment

Does sag change at all with warm up? Damping does but I don't see how sag would.

Comment

I have the same forks, same springs. Not sure about the oil weight or level but I ride on NHMS and have not had a top out despite it being a very bumpy track. My tuner warned me to keep an eye open for it and mentioned something about the top out spring in those forks.

Comment

Working...
                              X