X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jolinemelina
    replied
    Dumbest thing that I have done on bike
    1) Riding fast on the sidewalk, even dodging in and out of pedestrian traffic. Yes, there are times when sidewalks make sense, but always remember that you are on foreign ground, so exercise caution.
    2) Wearing headphones — an often deadly mistake. Would you ride blindfolded? Hearing is right up there with sight when it comes to avoiding accidents.
    3) Not wearing a helmet, because you aren’t infallible – and neither are motorists – and eventually, you will take a tumble. You’ll wish you were wearing one then.
    4) Passing on the inside of another cyclist. It may work for Mark Cavendish during a mass sprint, but it’s hardly a good idea on busy city streets, where many of the riders are far from expert and easily spooked.
    5) Riding too close to parked cars. Door prizes are readily available for the unwary.

Leave a comment:

• RodneyBoris
    replied
    Originally posted by trace33chargers View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread about the dumb things on bikes from the past. Can be tech related, or just a "what the hell were they thinking"?

I'll lead off.

The 532 chain on early Yamaha R6s. I think that was the only bike ever to use it. What a horrible chain size.

Stock debilitates of criminal/gsx1400.
    These bazookas truly yell "discard me for aftermarket"...

Leave a comment:

• Skipper
    replied
    Re: Dumbest thing on bikes

Just remembered one I hate on bikes. HD hard saddle bag lids. Who is the dumbass that thought of that latching system? Seen a couple of them come off during rides.

Leave a comment:

• The Snowman
    replied

16" front wheel on 93-97 CBR900RRs. I have a 97 that I ended up swapping the front out for a 17" CBR600F3 wheel when I hit a pothole that destroyed both rims. And yes, I managed to stay upright as the rear tire almost instantly deflated at 50mph.

Leave a comment:

• Skipper
    replied

Originally posted by trace33chargers View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread about the dumb things on bikes from the past. Can be tech related, or just a "what the hell were they thinking"?

I'll lead off.

The 532 chain on early Yamaha R6s. I think that was the only bike ever to use it. What a horrible chain size.
    Little late on this, but a lot of 90's era yamahas 750 and up used it also. My YZF's stock size is 532.

Leave a comment:

• simonburic
    replied

dave675

Leave a comment:

• teknic
    replied

Those spike bar ends or bolt kits or anything spike related on a bike... does a nice job of tugging on your clothing or mauling your ass when you crash em, I'm sure.

The big ass license plate holders that come stock on every bike.

Leave a comment:

• rambojoe
    replied

funny thing about sv650r (myself being from Arizona and such)... I had no Idea that he was a sv guru. all of those hot-rod parts and he Is slower than spit. we even have a sportbike day at a rather wide and fast kart track In tuscon-I would pass him on the straights on my pocketbike. but Im sure you had a hunch....

Leave a comment:

• Thatest
    replied

There's a lot of dumb s*** out there for sure. One thing that always gets me is when I venture up into Pennsylvania and see riders without helmets on. Blows my mind every time. Must look odd to them to see a guy in full gear coming the other way.

Leave a comment:

• TeamCPR
    replied

Me!

Leave a comment:

• macop1104
    replied

16 inch tire on CBR900s, Vtec valve train on VFR800, Linked brake systems,
    and the idiot at CCS who allowed Bimota DB5s in LW supserport.....

Leave a comment:

• simonburic
    replied

4.5in wide rear wheels.

Leave a comment:

• zoran
    replied

Originally posted by Junkie View Post
    Didn't you find out that his caliper adapters put them in the wrong place? And wasn't there some issue with the rear wheel kit as well?
    Two different guys. First one is snake while other one does actually play with snakes and is not bad guy, just had some bad customer service.

Leave a comment:

• GrahamB
    replied

I'm not sure being banned from SVRider is a negative. I haven't been back since it became clear that one wasn't allowed to question site supporters, even when what they were saying was utter bollocks.

The dude with the dodgy wheel kits was, relatively speaking, just naive and over-enthusiastic (and a trifle arrogant, true).

Leave a comment:

• Junkie
    replied

He got banned on SVRider a while ago. Didn't you find out that his caliper adapters put them in the wrong place? And wasn't there some issue with the rear wheel kit as well?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X