This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lightweight LifePO4 batteries

After 6 months of use,Shorai 18Ah version,1999 SV650.
    Bike starts with the slightest touch of the button.I once let it sit for 25 days and the old fart came to life.
    Speaking of farts,I bet if you turn on ignition and you fart the bike will start.
    Battery is incredibly light.Its connectors seem fairly robust.
    Whole package is great.

Combined with the CR9 iridium plugs the bike has never started easier,despite its age and 100000kms.

If you don't mind the extra cost it's a really good choice,no more battery headaches.

Comment

I just wanted to give a huge thanks to Zoran, Shawn Higbee and Shorai for there help over the last few weeks. Was in the garage going to top up the battery before the last race and discovered the charger wasn't working. After an email to Zoran and Shawn Higbee at Shorai they agreed to replace the charger.
      Arrived home from work a few days later to find a new charger sitting on the step. Certainly didn't expect to see it so fast considering I am in eastern Canada. Shawn also had some advice on using the battery on a total loss bike.
      I have used a LFX14A2-BS12 all season on my 1st gen SV with total loss and have never had an issue with it. I do normally use a second battery to start it in the pits, but even those times I had to start with the bikes battery I haven't had an issue and have never actually even discharged the battery to 50%.
      Plan to pick up a second battery this winter for the second bike.

John
      ARL#44

Comment

John,
        What was some of Shawn's advice? Can you share? I'm running the same setup and it would be helpful to know.
        Mark
        Anesthesia Racing
        www.motoeuropastl.com
        www.thebaleout.com

Comment

Nothing major, you probably already know this but every little tidbit of advice is good.

Shawn wrote,
          Please make sure that you are diligent about keeping the resting voltage
          above 12.86V (20% SOC). As you may have noticed if the battery is
          discharged below 50% the charger will alternately flash the green and yellow
          lights. The more deeply discharged the battery is between charges the
          shorter the lifespan of the battery. FYI, using the battery with a total
          loss systems voids the 2 year warranty policy. You should be okay for lots
          of use as long as you do not over discharge the battery and do not leave it
          in a state of discharge for very long.

Before I bought the 14amp battery Zoran suggested the larger 18 I think? I wanted the smallest case and went with the 14 because I had planned to move it to the side of the engine. I wish I had taken his advice because as soon as I got it and realized how light it was I realized it wasn't worth the effort to move it because it weighs nothing anyway. Lesson learned, I will get a 18 for the total loss bike and move the smaller 14 to the bike with the charging system over the winter.

John R

Comment

Thanks John. That's good stuff. My plan is to get the BDK generator over the winter, and I won't have to worry about the battery...
            Anesthesia Racing
            www.motoeuropastl.com
            www.thebaleout.com

Comment

Russell,
              You had problem with charger, not battery, right.
              14 should do fine with total loss, just keep it on charger when not running and like Shawn said charge it when done riding so it stays fully charged when not in use.
              We have couple guys in afm using 14 with total loss and no problems so far.

Comment

Yes charger stopped working. I always top up battery between practice sessions and races. Usually only takes 5-10min. No issues so far with battery(knock wood) Some others up here have had 2-3 ballistic ones fail within a year on their super sport 600 with regular charging systems. Glad I went with Shorai.

John

Comment

Zoran- Can you help me pick out the best sized battery for my needs: I have a Gen 2 sv650. I'm just getting into the sport and doing a lot of lapping days and some club racing. My battery will go into the regular battery location. Down the road a year or two I may change the battery location when I do upgrades on my bike. Also, I'm not clear on the difference between 'A' polarity and 'L' polarity. Thanks.

Comment

Normally we use LFX14 but you can also use LFX9 on pure race bike.
                    Polarity difference is on what side of battery positive terminal is. If battery is in the tray and terminals forward closer to gas tank than A would have positive on right side and L on left side.

Comment

Working...
                    X