• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sv650 rust cleanup fun

Chasing down the starting problem on my sv650 streetbike has been "fun"
    • Engine kicks over just fine
    • Both plugs have spark when held against frame, plugs are like new
    • Battery fully charged, also tried with dbpower jump assist
    So I looked in the tank, saw some rust near the top. I pulled the tank off and cleaned it with Evapo-Rust and BBs. Worked great. Tons of crap came out. Noticed the gasket and the filter on the petcock were both dead. Seems Suzuki doesn't have the 1st gen petcock around, so I found a replacement on Amazon.

New petcock works fine, no leaks. When I trigger the ignition, gas flows out of the fuel line. Still won't start.

So I pulled the fuel outlet that goes from the pump to the carbs. Again, trigger the ignition and gas comes out of the pump.

The only thing that seems odd to me is that if I try with everything hooked up, then detach either the hose going to the pump or coming out, a whole bunch of gas flows out. As if it is backing up / can't get into the carbs. Next I'm going to pull the carbs and see what's going on in there... but if I'm skipping a step let me know.

Unfortunately, the screw that holds the ignition line to the carbs is frozen and stripped, so I'm going to have to punch it and reverse it out Hopefully I can replace that screw with a hex-head.

--
    Jo Rhett
    #553 WERA West

Got the screw out using an extractor. Found a hex-head replacement for it. Now I've removed the idle adjuster, the throttle cable, the fuel line, and loosened the clamps. Now the instructions say to life the carbs and detach the other ignition line... but I cannot seem to get the carbs to move. I can rock them a very small amount in place but they refuse to be lifted. Is this normal? How should I be pulling? I've tried from the brackets in the middle, and from the outside hands around the black caps on the ends... neither seems to work

It is safe to use a crowbar on the bracket between the carbs?
    --
    Jo Rhett
    #553 WERA West

Comment

By ignition line.... do you mean the choke?
      derestrict_SV650K2_step6.jpg

The plastic housing on those break frequently (as in the picture) so be careful of that.

I would try rocking them side to side more. I can usually get them to pop out like this. I dont think I have ever just pulled up on them before. Make sure the clamps on the intake boots are fully loosened and then try rocking side to side.

Comment

Working...
      X